On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a practical matter the experimental method works. There is no
> possibility that every single researcher has made a mistake in every single
> high signal-to-noise ratio result. That would not happen in the life of the
> universe. As I've often said, if that could happen we would still be living
> in caves. Technology would not exist, never mind science.

You're just repeating yourself, so I will too. Cold fusion is a theory to
explain erratic calorimetry results. There are many example of theories
used to explain results that turned out to be wrong. The ether is one
example, and it was believed for a century. But of course I shouldn't need
to tell CF advocates that scientific ideas held by many scientists can be
wrong. That's the bread and butter of their defense of the field.

In fact, there are many examples of phenomena widely claimed to have been
replicated, for much longer than CF, which are nevertheless rejected by
mainstream science. Things like perpetual motion, UFO sightings, any of a
wide range of paranormal phenomena, many alternative medical treatments,
and so on. Most of these will probably never be proven wrong to the
satisfaction of their adherents, but that doesn't make them right.

Some arguments for homeopathy, sound eerily similar to CF arguments. Check
out this one from the guardian.co.uk  (July 2010)

"By the end of 2009, 142 randomised control trials (the gold standard in
medical research) comparing homeopathy with placebo or conventional
treatment had been published in peer-reviewed journals – 74 were able to
draw firm conclusions: 63 were positive for homeopathy and 11 were
negative. Five major systematic reviews have also been carried out to
analyse the balance of evidence from RCTs of homeopathy – four were
positive (Kleijnen et al; Linde et al; Linde et al; Cucherat et al) and one
was negative (Shang et al)."

This is for medicine diluted so that on average less than one molecule of
the starting material is present per dose.

And while you incorrectly deny the claimed replications of polywater, it is
quite similar.There were 450 peer-reviewed publications on polywater. Most
of those professional scientists turned out to be wrong. There were 200 on
N-rays; also all wrong. Cold fusion has more, but polywater had more than
N-rays, and if you can get 450 papers on a bogus phenomenon, twice as many
is not a big stretch, especially for a phenomenon with so much greater
implication, and if an unequivocal debunking doesn't come along.