Thanks Mark, this is making more sense. But I have a few more questions. I'm sure all of these issues have been addressed.

I assume the radiation is normal photon radiation, but at a higher frequency than is normally encountered. When such radiation passes through a material, the radiation is either absorbed, creating heat in the material, or it passes through without any change in energy or any effect on the material. Your description proposes that a certain size gap blocks a fraction of the radiation coming from a particular direction. In other words, the photons are stopped in the gap and their energy heats the walls of the gap. The other photons pass right through the material without interacting or producing a force.

What produces the force? The photons that are captured by the gap pass through the material without interacting until they reach the gap. Only at the gap is their presence felt by the material, but in the form of heat energy. For a force to be felt by the material, the photons must interact and transfer momentum. Does this mean all vacuum photons change direction when passing through a material and the gap simply removes a momentum vector such that a net force remains perpendicular to the gap?

If this is the explanation, we have still another assumption - a photon can bounce off an atom without changing its energy (frequency) and in the process transfer momentum to the atom while the photon goes in a different direction. Normally, a photon interacts with an electron, sending it in a different direction but at the same time ionizing the atom to which the electron was attached. Why does this process not occur when the vacuum photons interact with matter?

Ed Storms