Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here you've used average emissivity.  I think a rock-bottom lower bound (or
> something along those lines) would use ε=1.  I do not readily see a way to
> extract such a calculation for the March 2013 run from the data presented
> in the paper.

I guess you can look it up. However, they measured the temperature on the
surface with thermocouples and found they agreed with the IR camera to
within 3°C. The difference can be explained by the tape used to hold the
thermocouple to the surface acting as insulation. So obviously the IR
camera settings are correct.

> Understood.  Sometimes its helpful to get a lower bound that is beyond
> conservative . . .

If you go too far you begin to make absurd assumptions, such as maybe the
room temperature is actually close to 60°C, or maybe their ammeter is way
off, or Rossi secretly changed the ammeter when no one was looking. You
could go on all day spinning "maybe, what if, suppose."

Another thing I forgot to mention is that they ignore heat from the ends of
the cylinder and from the large flange. I'll bet those two would add ~100 W.

They also left out the effect of the cylinder walls being at an angle, as
they did in the first test.