Robert Lynn wrote:
And I can think of a number of ways of cheating to get heat into the reactor: Altering the electrical measurement equipment supplied . . .

How could this fool a clamp on ammeter and a voltmeter attached directly to the wire? If you know how to fool these instruments you have valuable information. The power companies will pay you for this.

, fiber optic lasers hidden in cable . . .
I do not think these are capable of conducting 500 W of light, or 800 W when the power is off 65% of the time. Fiber optic laser capacity is measured in microwatts, ranging from 50 nW to 2 mW.

, two-strand wires inside wired clamped ammeters (no net current) . . .
The ammeters belong to Bologna U., not Rossi.

, infrared, uv, x-ray, or radio frequency heat sources directed at reactor from afar . . .

Infrared or RF would heat everything, including the equipment stand. They would notice it is incandescent. That would be hard to miss. 500 to 800 W of infrared would burn the observers when they got near the cells. x-rays would have been detected by Bianchini, I believe.

, delivering combustible fuel into reactor via wires/cables (0.05g/s for 2000W).

The cell is closed. You would have to delver rocket fuel, with oxidizer. When they removed the cell at the end of the test to saw it in half, the observers would have noticed this tube.

Probably most of these could be ruled out by the observers present, . . .

Yes, I think we can count on the head of the Swedish Skeptics Association to be on the lookout for such things. People who have done experiments for 50 years are pretty good at finding problems with instruments.

but as they are associates of Rossi I really don't know if they were looking for such.

This seems to be a gigantic game of "sardines" (reverse hide and go seek -- one person hides and as the others find him they all hide in the same place.) Every time an impartial observer visits a cold fusion experiment he is convinced. That's because cold fusion is real, and the good experiments are completely convincing. Every time this happens people say that they have become "associates" or co-conspirators with the researchers. Robert Duncan is now regularly attacked as a cold fusion "true believer."

It would have been a far better approach for Rossi to engage aggressively skeptical testers to do the job.

These people are not rational. If you were to engage Mary Yugo she would demand she be allowed to bring her own power supply, which obviously would not work. It would be like showing up in August 1908 for the Wright Brothers demonstration with your own airplane, and demanding they fly your machine instead of their own. The whole point was that other people's flying machines did not fly.

Anyway I look forward to more demos in preferably neutral locations to assuage my concerns.
I think your concerns are overblown.