Robert Dorr <rod...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Personally I think the phrase "Cold Fusion" describes itself fairly well.

I think so too.

I get why it upsets the plasma fusion people. I do not understand why it
bothers other people, such as the people who hang out at Wikipedia, or
Steve Krivit. They do not have a dog in this fight. Why do people who know
nothing about plasma fusion theory get so het up about a challenge to it?
If this was a challenge to quantum electrodynamics maybe a dozen people in
the world would care.

> When it comes to the way fusion was initially obtained, which is very hot
> indeed, this alternate, new method of creating fusion is pretty damned
> cold, no matter which way you go about it.

In the future, people will think of this as the normal method of producing
fusion, and they will call the other kind "hot fusion." That expression has
already become common, I hope to the chagrin of the plasma fusion
scientists.

Whatever is discovered first is considered normal.