My NAE question...
If you follow the conclusions in  the Nagel poster/paper on craters
presented in the poster section of ICCF-18
This paper talked about the energy necessary to make the craters that seem
to be a feature of "active" cathodes

Given that paper I will make some assumptions :

1)At least 10^6 reactions occur in one local area to make a cathode crater.
 (This assumes ~24MEv per reaction lower energy reactions would increase
this number)

2)I find it hard to imagine any physical NAE configuration/construction of
lattice crack etc that could:

a)Survive that much energy.

b)Manage to get 10^6 sets of reaction productions in place and remove 10^6
units of ash.

So given this simple paper I find it hard to not conclude that NAE active
regions
are either

Groups of mutually oscillators with reinforcing resonances... causing batch
activity...

Some sort of chain reaction that occurs.

Note that the speed of nuclear reactions vs the speed of sound in the
lattice would allow some combination
of a special environment and chain reaction to both be true as the nuclear
chain reaction would propagate
before the special lattice region could be destroyed.

Are these assumptions off base?