Good... perhaps I can try my approach from the angle opened up by the
problem of writing off capital investments in a "debt saturated" western
economy:

The bailout of the large financial institutions was an example of the kind
of 'panic' that results when a massive write-off of capital investments
occurs.  In that instance, there was a choice as to whether to bailout the
debt-loaded population so they could service their debts, or whether to
bail out the financial institutions so they could, for example, foreclose
and evict the population from their homes and let those homes be overtaken
by squatters, weeds, mildew algae growing in their swimming pools.  The
system made a decision:  Evict the population and centralize assets in the
hands of the financial institutions.  If you recall during this period
there were serious proposals in the major financial press for the
government to mobilize the physical destruction of "excess" housing
resulting from the centralization of real wealth.

This was an "intelligent" decision from some interests' perspectives and it
was a "stupid" decision from others' perspective.   Of course, the
new-homeless didn't care whether it was intelligent or stupid --
conspiratorial or accidental -- it was just downright evil from their
perspective.

Viewing the system that made this decision as exhibiting unenlightened
self-interest, we can invoke my saying "Never attribute to sheer stupidity
that which can be explained by unenlightened self-interest."   In other
words, the system was acting "intelligently" here but only from some
perspectives.

There is a similar unenlightened self-interest at work in preventing the
proper development and deployment of LENR.  It is "intelligent" in that
sense and it has no incentive to become "enlightened" about its
self-interest.

There are therefore two questions in modeling this "intelligence":

1) What is the actual authority structure?
2) What is the actual incentive structure?

Analyze those two structures and something might be done.