On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> There is a similar unenlightened self-interest at work in preventing the
>> proper development and deployment of LENR.  It is "intelligent" in that
>> sense and it has no incentive to become "enlightened" about its
>> self-interest.
>>
>> There are therefore two questions in modeling this "intelligence":
>>
>> 1) What is the actual authority structure?
>> 2) What is the actual incentive structure?
>>

> The only people standing in the way of cold fusion today are a small
> number of academic scientists, at places like MIT, the DoE, Nature magazine
> and the Jasons. Unfortunately, they have a great deal of influence. They
> are opposed to it on theoretical grounds, and because they can't imagine
> they might be mistaken, so they are not cautious. (That thought never
> crosses their minds.) Not because they are invested in oil.
>
> There is also opposition from many ordinary people and many stupid people
> at places like Wikipedia

In all of these cases we're dealing with the incentives of social status
more than authority structure.  The key incentive here is to avoid
embarrassment in the eyes of the others in the milieu but even her
influence flows from the top down (MIT, DoE, Nature, Jasons, etc. ->
Wikpedia zombies, etc.).  Clearly "MIT" can't be considered a unified
entity as exemplified by Hagelstein.  Indeed, Hagelstein's presence at MIT
pretty much neutralizes it as a point of leverage from the social status
angle since, as an institution, MIT can point to Hagelstein as the exemplar
of their properly neutral institutional role.  So forget "MIT".  The DoE
has only partially covered its *ss with the Ramsey verbiage in the preamble
to the DoE panel's report (and its reiteration in the 2009 report).  This
might be a weak spot -- especially given the hostility some Republicans
have toward the Obama administration.  Nature magazine stands much to lose,
but the British foundation of that journal was protected to some degree by
delegating authority over the rejection of Oriani's paper to the US
editors.  They can point their finger across the pond and simply say they
should not have been so lax with the colonists.  The Jasons, on the other
hand.... the Jasons.... their raison d'ĂȘtre is precisely to discover
game-changing physics potentials and not for any namby-pamby concerns like
economic competitiveness or academic integrity.

The Jasons are supposed to be "above" Nature magazine and the academics at
the DoE and MIT, etc.

Moreover, you don't have to get them all in agreement.  All you need is one
of them to break ranks.

So how do you identify the Jason(s) most likely to be more concerned with
national security than peer pressure?