Thank you Steven for taking time to add your insight to the discussion about
many things Einstein.  It is a good thing to consider nature in alternate ways
and you appear to posses an excellent eye for the unusual.  The rocket ship
analogy has always been one of my favorite as well since it is easier to get a
hand upon large objects and simple ideas when compared to the super small and
elusive world of quantum things.

I might be able to assist you in an explanation for one of your questions.  The
first paragraph where you are considering the motion of a body in space
circling a second much larger one under the influence of gravity has captured
my attention in the past.  If a force is applied at right angles to the
direction of motion of the orbiting body then the definition of work, or in
this case energy, comes into play.  Only motion that occurs in the direction of
the force can extract energy from the source.  In the case of a circular orbit
the force will always be at right angles to the instantaneous motion and as a
consequence no energy is taken from the source.  If the orbit is anything but
circular then this is not true.  Energy is extracted from the force field for a
portion of the elliptical orbit and then an equal amount is returned later.
This process can be considered a trade off between potential energy, which is a
function of distance from the large mass, and the velocity of the smaller mass
which is a measure of its kinetic energy.  In a stable elliptical orbit the sum
of these two types of energy remains constant.

I applaud your thinking about our little ship causing everything within the
universe to appear to accelerate at 1 G when viewed from the window.  It will
serve you well to keep looking at nature from alternate view points.  That is
what I am doing in my search for clarification to the twin paradox since I
remain under the belief that every observer must see a world that obeys the
laws of physics from his perspective.  On many occasions this makes some
strange expectations, but the payoff can be large.  One observation that I find
interesting is when the guy making a measurement or feeling a force when the
windows are closed tends to be under the influence of an important effect.   He
does not need to see the outside world in order to feel acceleration within his
enclosure as example.  Or, if he applies torque to objects and sees them begin
to spin, it does not matter that he does not have windows.  In both of these
cases our space friend can use these phenomena to add or subtract energy
(trade) from his local system components.

Your thoughts about warp drives certainly are of great interest.  I tend to
look upon the current level of physics knowledge as being wonderful but
primitive.  I can not help but to recall reading about how many of the great
minds of the day thought that everything was understood in the past only to
have Einstein come along with his ideas.  This has happened many times
throughout history and I suspect that it remains within our mental systems.
Why should we expect things to be different now?  Who can imagine what lays
ahead of us to discover?  Warp drives might be simple when compared to the
third generation of drive technology which may take several generations to
perfect.  I maintain an open mind with regard to alien contact even after one
very strange encounter I experienced a few years back.  I suppose that the case
would have been closed had I been offered a ride upon the device that I
witnessed, but that did not happen.  If they are watching our crude behavior
then there must be a way to break the light barrier.  A warp drive seems like a
good first approach.

Dave