It is widely believed that population growth is out of control, the gap
between the Third World and the First World is unbridgeable, and -- in
short -- the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Yes, things are bad in
many ways, but people should realize there has been tremendous progress in
these areas over the last 50 years. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwII-dwh-bk

If we can deal with problems like this, we may also manage to push through
cold fusion, end the energy crisis, and stop global warming. When I look at
the progress in history and the opposition that people in the past
overcame, I am optimistic.

The panglossian view is unrealistic and unbecoming of an adult, but so is
one-sided pessimism that ignores history.