Right my question was specifically about consumer-level "appliances" of
course.

So paraphrasing your answer to my question:

If the certifying institution (say UL) is "aware" that they are dealing
with a nuclear device, 2 years would be "lightning fast".  Even if they
treated it as an ordinary water boiler (operating around 100C as were the
modules in the 1MW plant) 2 years would be "fast".

I pretty much suspected this when I asked my question and it is only
partially an answer to my question since I was not asserting that the
device should have been certified within 2 years.