Recently we had a short discussion concerning objects being ejected from
planetary systems such as ours.  I was toying with the Planets program that I
stumbled upon when testing Linux.  That program is very interesting and it is
easy to fiddle away hours of time just observing how planets interact in a two
dimensional stellar system.  I recommend that anyone desiring to be fascinated
give it a try!

One interesting observation that caught my attention was that so many objects
appeared to be ejected from the system as they interacted with others orbiting
the star.  My concern is that this suggested that perhaps millions of these
large and dangerous objects would be drifting in open space and some might
actually find their way to earth.  I made a short post to the list and some of
the vorts suggested that the reason for the apparent onslaught was rounding off
errors in the math calculating the inverse square law interactions.  I looked
into the issue further and come away believing that the effect is real and they
are out there.

In further playing with these types of systems, I generated some with two
similar sized star equivalents in orbit around themselves.  Each one was
orbiting the center of mass of the system at a fairly fast rate.  When I
introduced planets to the system, it was brutal.  Almost every one of the
planets that passed near the stars was immediately sent rapidly exiting the
system or found itself being destroyed by one of the pair.  This effect was so
pronounced that I realized that there must be something that demonstrated its
powerful influence under these conditions.

I reviewed planetary orbits and found the reason fairly quickly.  The escape
velocity associated with a star or planet is only the square root of two times
larger than the orbital velocity at that radius.  Also, gravity assist is used
to send space probes into and beyond the outer reaches of the solar system all
the time and is quite effective.  A typical probe can gain the orbital velocity
of the object that it encounters by a moderately close fly by.  With this
process available, an object that begins at a position that is for example
located at the distance of the Earth from the sun can fly by Mercury and gain
sufficient speed to escape the suns gravity entirely.  This same effect would
result in the ejection of many random objects that find their way near to inner
planets.  This would likely happen often and the program appears to demonstrate
this nicely.

To add some numbers to the words: The escape velocity for an object at the
distance of Mercury from the Sun is 67.7 kilometers/second.  The same figure
for an Earth distance object is 42.1 kilometers/second.  So our object orbiting
at the Earth's distance from the Sun would be moving at 42.1 km/sec / 1.1414 or
 29.77 km/sec.  Now, if we direct the object toward Mercury and pick up its
orbital velocity of 67.7 km/sec / 1.414 which is 47.87 km/sec , then it is
evident that it will have sufficient velocity to escape the Sun's influence.

For these reasons, I believe that empty space between stars is more than likely
not empty at all and that many large objects are passing through the solar
system every year as they wander about.  The probability of collisions is
small, but not zero due to the enormous dimensions of space and one day we
might observe a close encounter of the nasty kind.  I would not be surprised if
it eventually is determined that hoards of these asteroids and comets have
impacted us in the past and come in groups as each of the nearby star ejection
events during their births reach our distance.  Since planetary systems
stabilize in a few million years from what I have read, the ejections and
resulting collisions should occur during relatively short historical time
frames.

It would be interesting to calculate how far one of these hoards reaches in a
billion years and compare that to the distance between forming stars.  Perhaps
someone needs a hobby? :-)

Dave