History of Water Arc Explosions :

  The unusual strength of explosions caused by a pulsed current flowing
through water plasma was first noticed in 1907 by Trowbridge.  in his early
high voltage laboratory at Harvard University. When he passed an arc
through a spray of water, the resulting explosion was louder than in
ordinary laboratory air.

During the second world war, Frungel measured the strength of water arc
explosions and published his results in 1948. He concluded that they were
not caused by heat and steam and freely admitted that he was unable to
explain the phenomenon. Soon after Frungel's publications, water arc
explosions found applications in electrohydraulic metal forming and
underwater pulse echo sounding.

In 1969, the US Bureau of Mines issued a long report on their investigation
into using water arc explosions for rock fragmentation. In one experiment
the investigators at the Twin City Mining Research Center noticed that the
energy output was apparently 156% of the input.

Not until the mid-1980s was the scientific basis of the puzzling explosions
more extensively researched. At MIT. It was shown that the discharge of 3.6
kJ of stored capacitor energy would create pressures in excess of 20.000
atm. In 7 ml of water. 3.6 gm of water was ejected from an accelerator
barrel at a velocity of the order of 1000m/s, sufficient to penetrate a ¼"
thick aluminium plate.

Joe Papp has a patent on this process.

One  story involvine this process was filmed and witnessed by a handful of
impartial observers; that story dealt with his cannon and goes as follows:

Papp decided to add a cannon to his collection of hardware to show all
those that were interested in what he could really do.

So on one early crisp sunny Sunday fall morning in October 1968, Papp
trooped out to the desert with six or eight engineers from the Navy and TRW
with a homemade cannon, powered by his invention.

For this show, Papp decided to pull out all the stops that usually kept his
engines docile and well controlled in the engine application and scaled up
his technology to its maximum power potential.

The barrel was four feet long, four inches in diameter, made of a three
foot length of 3-inch schedule 50 stainless steel pipe (0.6 inch wall
thickness) anchored and totally encased in a heavy one-foot thick
reinforced concrete containment block.

The breech was loaded with just 10cc’s of Papp’s "inert" water vapor/noble
gas mix. For the breech, he used a spare cylinder head from one of his
engines; for a projectile, he machined a piece of steel.

Papp filled the cylinder head with his gas mix from five separate flasks
and hooked up the power. Then Papp hit the start button.

"We heard this tremendous explosion. It was a low rumble, like a bass
sound," one witness there said. The projectile jammed halfway up the barrel
and ripped the cannon in half. The back of the gun flared open like a
stainless steel tulip strewn with  5/8 inch thick metal fragments.

The concrete containment was mostly blasted into the air as a cloud reduced
to rubble and dust. It also punched a crater about 3-feet in diameter and
about 3-feet deep into the rocky desert hardpan and the 1-foot thick
platform of plywood and 2x8 planks upon which all rested was reduced to a
shower of splinters.

This cannon and everything that Papp did was patented. These Patents are an
official validation of a LERN technology that is unprecedented.