First off, the production of only stable isotopes via fusion, points to no
transfer of any angular momentum or kinetic energy by the cold fusion
reaction. This points to photofusion.

The report that only even numbers of protons and neutrons in the nucleus
before fusion resulting in a zero nuclear spin points to photofusion.

The clue that transmutation is not due to fission which cannot happen
because of  negative energy coming out of the fission reaction or multiple
separate serial fusion events because multiple lighter elements are
produced by fusion; so the cause must be a result of one massive fusion
reaction  of many diprotons into the nickel atom. This points to a total
removal of nuclear repulsion for all these nucleons which all combine
into two or more lighter  resultant nuclei. Also the production of all
those highly concentrated cooper pairs of protons point to suspension of
nuclear repulsion.