Dave--Bob Cook here

Pd has one of the highest magnetic susceptibility of any metal.  The electrons
line up in an applied field to establish a very large B field in the Pd matrix.
 The susceptibility determines the relative intensity of the internal and
external magnetic fields.  I am not sure how the susceptibity changes with
temperature.  It may also decrease as with Ni.  Nuclei with high nuclear
magnetic moments would respond to this B field and line up their spin vector
parallel or anti-parallel to the local B field.  Thus, impurities may make for
local variations in the B field or magnetic traps for particles which have a
magnetic moment and are  free to move through the matrix.   Ni is a ferro
magnetic metal which can retain an alignment of the electrons so as to create a
permanent magnet and B field after the elimination of an external field.  Pd
which is paramagnetic* loses its internal B field when an external magnetic
field is removed.

Some compounds, for example rare earth oxides, magnetic susceptibilities 20 to
30 times the susceptibility of Pd.  They might be the catalyst that Rossi talks
about.

The following link identifies magnetic susceptibities for various compounds and
metals.
http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/magnetic_susceptibilities.html

*Diamagnetic atoms have only paired electrons, whereas paramagnetic atoms,
which can be made magnetic, have at least one unpaired electron.

Bob