The trade winds are driven primarily from the convection currents that take their energy from solar heating. The corriolis force means that the convection currents do not just go in a north-south direction but swing to the east or west. Given all this, at least some of the energy that drives a windmill sitting in the trade wind comes from solar energy. I suspect that trying to work out what proportion (if at all) comes from the spin of the earth is an interesting maths/physics/engineering question.

I shall pass it to my son to look at.

Nigel

On 09/02/2014 06:41, Bob Cook wrote:
A better scheme to extract energy from the Coriolis force is the spinning earth creates is to erect a windmill or your sailboat in the trade winds which are caused by this effect.
Bob
----- Original Message -----

    *From:* Blaze Spinnaker <mailto:blazespinna...@gmail.com>
    *To:* vortex-l@eskimo.com <mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>
    *Sent:* Saturday, February 08, 2014 4:14 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Vo]:: RAR gravity engine

    Yes, some combination of that and tidal forces from the moon, perhaps.

    On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Hoyt A. Stearns Jr.
    <hoyt-stea...@cox.net <mailto:hoyt-stea...@cox.net>> wrote:

        Perhaps the energy is coming from the rotational energy of the
        earth, i.e.

        Coriolis effect <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect>

        ( which as I look at it, is a fudge factor needed to account
        for anomalies when you assume you're

        in an inertial frame of reference, but really aren't due to
        the rotation of the earth.).

        One could extract energy from the earth by raising a weight
        vertically, then letting it fall

        whilst letting it's east-west tendency generate force X
        distance.  For example if the

        surface of the earth is moving at 1000 km/hour and you raise a
        weight such that the speed is

        now 1001 km/hour, as you let it fall you could extract 1
        km/hour of kinetic energy from it.

        I think that'd be a pretty small effect, hence the huge
        machine to get anything useful.

        It would be interesting to see if it's orientation was
        north-south along its rotational axis.

        Hoyt Stearns

        Scottsdale, Arizona US