I've noticed a pathology in this discourse that boils down to a conflation,
hence confusion, of research with development.  This conflation has two
main historic sources:

1)  Government funded technology development often times will conflate
research with development because there is a lot more money in development
than in research.  A good example is the Tokamak program which is viewed as
an "R&D program", but the real purpose of the program is cash flow.

2) The cold fusion fiasco of the century has resulted in such a vicious
attack on research that the ordinary product of research -- which is
pursuit of reproducible experiments -- has been driven "underground" so
deeply that the only hope many have salvaging research is someone like
Rossi coming out with a commercial product.  This is to answer the "I'll
believe it when I can ...." mentality explicitly stated by "scientific"
authorities.

Both of the above conflations of R with D are tragic.