On 02/26/2014 03:38 PM, Edmund Storms wrote:
OK Craig, if the bitcoin can be stored in a person's computer, why are people
upset that they lost money from MtGov.  How is that loss possible? Did they
fail to transfer the coin to themselves? In any case, for me to sell my coin, I
need an exchange that has money and access to my bank account.  Are you saying
that I can give any of the exchanges my private key and have them convert the
bitcoin into money that appears in my bank account?

Right, the people who lost bitcoins on MtGox were people who kept those bitcoins in a MtGox account, generally for the purpose of trading them on MtGox' exchange. MtGox was an exchange where bitcoins could be bought and sold for various currencies, including other crypto-currencies.

Never give anyone your private key. When you want to sell your bitcoins, you send them to an account maintained by the exchange. Then you can trade the bitcoins for money, and then withdraw the money. Generally, an exchange will not wire you money until you verify your identity, in line with the know your customer rules.

Craig