On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:45 PM, Bob Cook wrote:

> Ed--
>
> You said--
>
> >Trying to fit QM to the lattice is a waste of time.
>
> I would note that the lattice is a QM system and,  although complicated,
> obeys the various laws of QM including separate and unique energies for all
> like femions in the system and   angular momentum for each particle at any
> given time and other properties associated with the wave function (WF)
> appropriate for the lattice with all its particles as a function of time.

While what you say is true, Bob, it is irrelevant to LENR.  These comments
apply to many features of a lattice, but not to a nuclear reaction. A nuclear
reaction is prevented by the Coulomb barrier. This barrier is known to be very
effective and can only be overcome by applying high energy. That amount of
energy is not available in a lattice.  Simple hand-waving and using QM does not
change this fact.

We know this because if this amount of energy could be concentrated by an
unknown process, no unstable chemical could exist. For example, an explosive
would not stay stable.  Eventually, this unknown energy-concentrating process
would be initiated and the chemical reaction would take place.  This simply
does not happen.

Yes, energy can be concentrated in special circumstances and to a limited
amount, but the nuclear process we have to explain requires this process take
place at at least 10^11 times a second for weeks.  A chemical lattice does not
contain the special features required to support such a process. These features
can only occur in a gap or crack of a special size. I encourage you to apply
your efforts to that condition and forget about the lattice.

> I would further note that  lattice WF can be approximated and the interaction
> with various external stimuli estimated to allow engineering changes in the
> state of the system including lower total potential energy and higher kinetic
> energy in the form of heat.  The changes may include nuclear and chemical
> changes at the same time.

Yes, energy can be described mathematically by the WF concept. However the WF
must be applied to a real condition.  The condition to which it is being
applied is not real. We know from a huge data set that energy is not
spontaneously concentrated in a lattice above a very limited amount. Pretending
otherwise is not useful.

> From what you say--
>
> >"the nuclear process MUST occur outside of the chemical structure."
>
> I find no basis for this conclusion. We seem not to agree on the basic
> natural laws that apply to the various LENR systems.

Yes, that is the basic conflict between physics and chemistry. Chemistry tries
to understand what actually occurs and physics focuses on what MIGHT happen.

 Do you understand and agree that the laws of thermodynamics apply to a
lattice? Do you agree that they place a limit on how energy can operate in a
chemical system? Do you agree that these laws operate at the atomic level? Do
you agree these limits apply to a nuclear process?

>  For example I would say as a proton enters the Pd lattice it becomes part of
> the QM lattice system,  effecting a change in the potential energy, the
> kinetic energy and angular momentum of the system as a whole--with the
> various respective  particles in the system changing and sharing the energy
> and momentum based on their respective characteristics of mass, charge, spin
> etc.

That is a correct description. However, this does not case a nuclear process to
happen. You need a mechanism that lowers the barrier and then dissipates MeV
level of energy in small units of energy. Your description does not show how
this can be done.

> Even considering our conceptual differences, I will read your book regarding
> LENR science when it comes out and probably have comments.

I welcome your comments, Bob,  because they reveal the conceptual differences I
need to address to make the arguments effective in educating physicists.

Ed Storms