The delayed neutrons are the neutrons that come from the radioactive decay
of activated fission products. They slow down fission so that heat can get
to the U238. Without delayed neutrons, the fission reaction would go
super-critical in nanoseconds which would not allow the U238 to heat up.

The fission cross section of U233, Pu239, and U235 all goes up as neutrons
slow down. That is why Pu239, is used in fast neutron reactors; because it
produces more neutrons per fission than uranium. Fast neutrons produce less
fissions that slow one do.