My usual take on this subject is that a bullet behaves much like a small
explosive device.  The energy delivered by the retardation of the fast moving
bullet was deposited within his skull and must find a way out.  Energy does not
know direction since it is scalar which leads to damage in all directions.
This type of demonstration is quite evident when a high speed bullet impacts a
plastic container of water.  In that case the water is rapidly expelled in all
directions.

Conservation of momentum is required in this special case along with
conservation of energy.   As you mention, plenty of material travels along with
the spent bullet through the forward exit point.  It needs to be proven that
the momentum contained within this forward exiting mass is greater than the
initial bullet momentum so that a negative momentum is generated that is large
enough to send his head backwards.  This may be possible, but it is not evident.

I have fired plenty of rifles and have been subject to the kick due to the
bullet being fired.  In this case we are attempting to accept the notion that
the brain matter and bullet leaving the front of his head actually has more
kick(momentum) than if Oswald had held the rifle butt against his
head(Oswald's) as the gun was fired.  I must say that this seems highly
unlikely after a bit of consideration.

My conclusion at this time is that some other force must have been involved to
make JFK's head react so strongly backwards.   I believe some say that your
muscles might tense due to damage of the brain which might be the explanation.

 Dave