Let me expand on my comment:

The economics of cold fusion research are constrained by the cost of
testing cathodes.  We know that the original experiments did not use
sophisticated techniques to produce the cathodes and the cathodes used a
very tiny amount of Pd.  The cost was not in the cathode -- it was in
getting the electrochemistry and the diagnostics right.  The diagnostics
can be absurdly expensive if you're trying to detect marginal signals --
but we know that the reason people are tantalized by the phenomenon is not
the marginal signals.  This has been true from that first laboratory
accident that burned a hole in the table back in the mid 80s.  So we
shouldn't be bothering with the enormous costs of diagnostics.  We should,
instead, be focusing on the economics of getting the electrochemistry right
so that the loading threshold is reliably reached.

What is the economic bottleneck on getting the electrochemistry right?