John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jed, I am really curious how you envision a cold fusion on a consumer level
> to work?

See chapter 15 of my book, and the standby generator in chapter 14.

Obviously it would need an initial power source to start the reaction . . .

I expect that first generation devices will all be plugged into ordinary
mains electricity. After that, conventional on board batteries should
suffice.

> . . . the reaction would generate heat which would need to be converted to
> electricity with some realistic efficiency level.

20 to 30% would be fine. The waste heat will be used for space heating or
thermal air conditioning.

> Then the chemistry of the cell and the electrodes need to be kept healthy,
> I question how trouble free this would be.

After the technology matures it should not be a problem.

> Plus if Palladium is used a rare and going to become rarer metal would be
> used which would impact prices.

I hope that nickel can be used instead. Palladium could be a major
stumbling block.

> How often would someone want to get their cell serviced if it is to be
> cheaper than regular power? Maybe once a year tops and only if the service
> isn't too pricey.

I expect that home heating companies, Lowe's, Sears and others who now
service heating, air conditioning and high end standby generators will
service these. I have a service contract for my house. They come by two or
three times a year.

> Additionally explosive events have occurred with blocks, obviously rare,
> but once there are millions of them even rare events are problematic.

They better find out why this happens before they commercialize the
technology! Note, however, that gas fired equipment also causes explosions.
Yesterday in New York City two building were leveled in a gas explosion.
These things happen fairly often:

http://www.naturalgaswatch.org/?cat=8

> What kind of LENR device do you think could work for homes, cars, etc...

Ultimately, when the technology matures, thermoelectric batteries are the
best choice for electric power. No moving parts.