From: Bob Cook

I think I have a good science fair project for a grandson. A little high
tech monitoring equipment is all that is necessary.  Maybe NI would be
interested in loaning the instruments.  A transient change in the
temperature of the ball and the surface upon which they spin would be nice
to know to understand the issue of friction changes.   An evacuated chamber
would be warranted to eliminate the issue with loss of energy via stirring
the air around the rotating balls.

Yes, in a simple evacuated bell jar, it would be interesting to see if a
pair of magnetized balls could be started and kept in rotation via an
external laser beam, shining through the bell jar somewhat like a Crookes
radiometer (which only works with a partial vacuum and not in the way
commonly perceived.)

However, in place of one side having a more absorbent coating, as in
Crookes, we would be probably going for asymmetry in coherent photons
causing tiny phase changes or spin coupling on one side or the other of the
rotational vector. Does forward side irradiation help or hinder compared to
trailing side? Lasers up to 10 watts are affordable but must be monitored
with a grandson's science project. A 10 watt laser would possibly transfer
200 milliwatts through a bell jar - which should be more than enough.

If the mirror is placed on top of a number of magnet configurations, then we
have another possibility - does any kind of a magnetic field alignment help
or hinder rotation.

There could be a lesson or two here wrt any spin system, even at nanoscale.