> Normally we expect that the inventor understands his device, but you are
> aware of the problems with that view - has anything changed?

It seems not at all the rule.

It is a recent pseudo-evidence of academic myth that theory is important
for innovation.
It helps, but afterward, to optimize the system.

The normal path is :

finding an anomaly

denial by academic

few crazy scientist stay stubborn but are locked by pet theories and lack
of imagination

crazy rule-breaker does something stupid according to all theories and it
works

engineers try to design something that work better based on observation and
known practice

academic start to admit facts

they find a theory

engineers based on the theory make the things work more reliably

academic write history book where all started with a theory, and all before
is forgotten

a new anomaly is found