On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

Jones makes a good argument that it is unlikely to eliminate all of the
> gammas and I suspect he is correct.

The argument, which says that even if you obtain 99.99999 percent
efficiency, you would still see a large number of gammas for the levels of
power observed, is a good one, for it narrows down the possibilities
significantly.  It is not an airtight implication that therefore there is
no fusion, however.  If one leaves open the possibility that there is some
unknown mechanism that thermalizes fusion energy through broadband
excitation of electrons, there is still the further possibility that cold
fusion (e.g., d(d,Q)4He) only happens when the thermalization mechanism is
in operation.  When there is cold fusion, that mechanism is in operation.
 When that mechanism isn't operating, there is no cold fusion.  Cold fusion
and that mechanism, whatever it is, are two sides of the same coin.

We are in more difficulties than we get out of if we set dd fusion aside in
the context of trying to understand PdD cold fusion, for we must then
discount years of research stating unequivocally that there has been 4He
evolution.  If the PdD guys did years of shoddy work, who is there to
trust?  In the context of NiH, there is also the nettlesome issue of prompt
protons to explain.  Protons in the MeV range imply some kind of nuclear
reaction.

Eric