On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 8:22 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

 This is not a fair characterization from a technical standpoint. We can
> trust the calorimetry – which is the more important detail by far.

The 4He measurements have been important in establishing PdD LENR
specifically as a *nuclear* phenomenon.  In this sense they're quite
important.  The researchers (Miles, McKubre, etc.) had the presence of mind
to know that a mass spec with a resolution that could distinguish 4He from
D2 would be necessary.  They have come out with unequivocal statements
concerning a positive 4He signal, above and beyond the sources of noise and
error you identify, which they were aware of and took into consideration.
 One reason they put such effort into these measurements was precisely to
establish that we're dealing with a nuclear phenomenon.  I'm not in a
position to assess the quality of their findings.  But I can say that their
results, if reliable, are pretty important in pinning down what is going
on.  I can also say that if they have come out and unequivocally stood by
4He measurements that turned out to be unreliable, I would also have
significantly less trust in their calorimetry from that point on as well.

I am skeptical, to put it mildly, that the m=4 species that were observed
were deep-dirac level bound deuterons.  If I were on a game show, and I had
1000 dollars to apportion between three possibilities, where the correct
bet would be multiplied by 1000, and the choices were (1) they saw real
4He, (2) they saw something completely unrelated to 4He (e.g., some kind of
ion, or regular old D2) and (3) they saw DDL bound deuterons, I would put
700 dollars on (1), 299.50 dollars on (2) and 50 cents on (3).

Eric