On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

 Two things. Deuterium stripping – if that is one of the operative gain
> mechanisms would still release lots of neutrons to be detected external to
> the reactor. Notice that the nickel cross-section for neutrons is basically
> rather low.

I take it that deuterium stripping is an all-or-nothing thing.  Either the
neutron is stripped off and added to the large nucleus, or it is not, in
which case you get the equivalent of an inelastic collision.  I.e., there
are no messy, partial stripping reactions.

Whether or not this assumption is correct, I'm guessing that this is the
angle that Yoshino and Mizuno are pursuing.

Eric