On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Maybe it is, as the slides have a purpose - but I doubt that it can be the
> end-of-story, because even if it is true and the other four ways to
> disintegrate the deuteron are absent, O-P does not explain the doubling of
> gas molecules. More likely, it could be both partly true and incomplete.

If Yushino's and Muzuno's findings are not artifact, I'm thinking OP might
be going on.  I don't have a clear sense of whether it would be the primary
source of heat.  If there is OP, there will also be fast protons, which
might cause spallation reactions with nearby deuterons:

http://i.imgur.com/cATIdcT.png

Note that if this happens, and OP is the main source of the heat, such
spallation reactions destroy the fuel.  Also, there would be lots of ~ 180
keV (and higher) beta particles from the decay of neutrons and neutron-rich
radioisotopes, and possibly gammas from radiative capture.

Eric