On 28/08/2014 7:42 AM, Jojo Iznart wrote:
As pointed out, the odds for a mutation occuring that would result in a feature that is useful enough is astronomical.
If the necessary information is present from the beginning, then it only needs to be triggered and it will express itself. This is my suspicion of how the process might work.

Consider insect metamorphosis. An apparently simple ugly grub looking creature "evolves" within a single generation to a beautiful and apparently more much complex creature. It can suddenly fly! No slow accumulation of appendages to help it glide, etc, etc, etc. Complete and fully functional flying apparatus and body structure to suit in a single generation! Clearly the information to do this was present when the creature was still a grub. It just needed the right trigger for the transformation to happen.

So with the right conditions and in the fullness of time an ugly fat landlubbing dinosaur could lay a batch of eggs, and out could hatch a bunch of beautiful flying monsters. Evolution occurs as punctuated equilibrium - to the extreme! If you care to postulate initial design, then this effect would be easy to build in and almost inevitably produce the phylogenetic tree that we find evidence for in the fossil record and from modern genetics.

(See my first link). Its like fllipping 1000 consecutive heads followed by 1000 consecutive tails. Unlikely does not mean possible. It depends on the odds. If it is greater than 10^50, it is considered impossible. The concept of reversing the change is just as improbable because the mechanism is random. There is no such thing as rolling "downhill". The process is the same in both directions.
By "climbing uphill" I refer to the creation of complexity, of information, of beneficial mutations. Rolling downhill refers to the destruction of this information. Microbes need far less genetic information to build them than men, thus you should be able to simply destroy 90% (or whatever) of the genetic information in a man and still be able to grow an amoeba like creature. But the reverse direction requires the creation of a large amount of information and is thus far more unlikely.

Man->Microbe = easy (downhill), Microbe->Man = difficult (uphill).

My interest was to try to find out from Nigel how the information content in microbes compared to the information content in men. From that I was hoping to be able to decide if the evolution process (which I have no doubt occurs) from microbe to man could possibly have been designed in from the beginning to await its unfolding in the fullness of time, or whether it needed information to be added (by natural or supernatural means) during the process along the way. Unfortunately I seem to have failed in this endeavour.

On 28/08/2014 7:42 AM, Jojo Iznart wrote
This idea of reversibility in itself is already a violation of one of the tenets of Darwinian Theory. Darwinian Theory says the change must be persistent. If the reverse is easier than the forward change, it violates the "persistence" requirement. Regarding E. Coli resistance. You are correct in that the resistance is conferred by an expression of a gene. In this case, just a single gene which creates a single protein on the cell wall of the bacteria that prevents the antibiotic from attaching itself to the bacteria which prevents the denaturing/splitting of the bacteria cell wall. But this is precisely my argument for the difference between micro from macro-evolution. The mechanism for expressing a trait is already encoded in the DNA in micro-evolution - it is adaptation. There is no mutation that needs to confer a survival advantage. Everything the bacteria needs to mount a defense is already encoded. That is why you will never find E. Coli that is resistant to Chlorine for example. Chlorine will always kill E. Coli, because E.Coli does not have a gene that it can express to confer Chlorine resistance. The extent of what E. Coli can be resistant to is determined by its genetic tool box. It can never be resistant to something that is not in its tool box.
Since we don't understand what all the information in the non-coding regions is there for, we can never be sure quite what might pop out of that tool box once a key mutation has had time to occur.