I believe the thinking is that the fusion of DDL atoms begins with the
formation of a DDL "pico-molecule".  Meulenberg then proposes that the two
electrons in combination (his Lochon) are involved in the fusion.  When
fusion would occur, the electrons are so close to the nucleus that they are
highly coupled to the nucleus.  So, an intermediate DDL He could form, but
as part of the de-excitation of the nucleus, energy could be coupled from
the nucleus to an electron to move it back to ground state (uses up ~511
keV) or completely ionize the atom by coupling more energy to the electron
than is required to restore it to a ground state orbit.  The fusion
mechanics of such a "pico-molecule" are not very clear.  Meulenberg has a
paper entitled, "From the Naught Orbit to the 4He Excited State" that you
might find interesting.

This business of DDL atoms other than hydrogen seems kind of fishy.  An
electron would have to descend from an  s orbital to a DDL state that would
be in a new orbital.  2 electrons in an s orbital are synchronized - it
seems like this would have to be lost when an electron descends into a DDL
state in a closer orbital.  Somehow in the process of the electron giving
up energy to enter the DDL state, that energy would have to be given to the
other electrons.  That energy is so great as to completely ionize the atom
for small atomic number.  I can't quite wrap my head around how this can
happen.

Bob Higgins