Bob--

Thanks for that clarification about the melting of small Ni particles.  Are
there any compounds or alloys of Ni that would not melt or sinter below say
1100 C?  Since Rossi says he does not use Ni nano particles the fuel may be
something else containing Ni that could be exposed to the Li at 1000 C  in some
reliable configuration.

For example the following abstract suggests some possible substrates that would
hold the Ni at temperature.

Composite nano particles of Ni-TiC and Ni-TiN were prepared by an active
plasma-metal reaction method. The structure and morphology were evaluated by
X-ray diffraction and transmission electron microscopy observations. The
morphology of the composite particles is dice-like or dumbbell-like, where the
outer sides are metallic and the inner part of the rod (or dice)-like structure
is TiC or TiN. The formation mechanism of the composite particles is considered
by analogy to the VSL mechanism. The thermal stability of the nanocomposite
particles is vastly superior to that of the metal particle. The excellent
catalytic property of the Ni-TiN composite particle was confirmed when compared
to the well-known Raney Ni particle and mixed particles of Ni and TiC.

Note the increased thermal stability.

Bob