this seems a mystery but maybe it is the key.

as far as I understand your discussion, it seems impossible Ni particles
surface structure stay stable even at 1000C... it won't be liquid, but will
be aggregated too easily...

when something works and there is something like a problem, maybe it is
what make it work.

the reaction came from a local abnormal structure in Ni or Pd , Ti,  NiCu,
I remember of codeposition experiments by spawar... now imagine an
equivalent with Ni vapor?

Ni is gaseous, at least evaporated, and forms particles with the NAE...

the particle we see are regenerated. maybe is it why they are so strangely
enriched.

think about the Iwamura experiment... Pd on CaO works ?
maybe Ni on Alumina works? ...

people who say that it cannot be 1400C/1250C, have to admit that it would
be incredibly lucky for IH to deliver a reactor that don't work and then
have the testers measure abnormal temperature tht correct that anomaly...

especially if Rossi is there and tune with a thermocouple retroaction the
target temperature at 1250C without moaning...

question is thus why it work, how it work...
if particles cannot survive, maybe they don't .

maybe the role of the alumina is to avoid particle to stick