Hey Peter. Steve here.
Yeah, I had anticipated someone would make an operating system they would
consider virtual. In my offline notes, I have it renamed "Virtuality".

That site is pretty old; Many things change in a year or three. Also, you
are right. What is online is not really a 'design', but more, if you will
pardon my zen, 'a finger pointing at the moon'. I didn't want to give too
much away about what was really constituted by my operating system. Most of
the amazingness-factor would come from the 3d development utilities attached
to it, and videos of the completed environment itself. Unfortunately, the
utilities exist only in theory, and animations exist only in my mind.

x86 is fairly Standard, and fairly Fun. I had it in mind to attempt to make
the most modular (and therefore most compatible) operating system. I wanted
the system to be able to, much like Descent, trim itself down to run on a
386. But you're right. One has to start somewhere. Unfortunately, I had
never started.

-Steve