I've used Celestia before, and from what I can tell... Much like
"Microsoft Flight Simulator", there are models for different ports (in
this case, spaceports rather than airports). When you are near the
ports, the level of detail for those ports are increased. When you are
further from them, however, they use simpler and simpler models, until
eventually, they don't need to use models at all, and can resort to
bumpmapping, normalmapping, and eventually you're so far away, you can
just ignore the fact that the port exists in your frame of reference.
It is the same thing with planets and moons, in fact, and stars
themselves. Obviously, scale plays a big part, and Celestia
interrelates that with your distance from the object, providing a
reasonable facsimilie of real-life effects.

At least, that's my take on it. I'm not sure how coordinate systems
interplay in all of this, but in Celestia, you have frames of
reference, oriented toward your target object. You are told what your
altitude is (your distance from the target object), and your
orientation in regards to said object. That's what I could figure out,
but I'm still not quite sure how to program it all to fit on a floppy.

-Steve