Quick thing to point out, COM and D-BUS are fundamentially different in
that COM objects are usually loaded in-process, whereas D-BUS is used to
communicate between running processes.  Interoperability has a number of
different dimensions, and concurrency/flow-of-control issues are a
critical but often overlooked aspect of that.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 11:40:27AM -0500, Reed Hedges wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> > Conversely, on Linux, I have long wanted to have d-bus bindings, which
> > would achieve more or less the same effect.  That is something that
> > probably will be in s5 out of the box -- you add a site extension
> > (assuming site extensions exist in s5; or whatever is the equivalent if
> > they don't), and you get d-bus, similar to how you get VIP.
>
> Part of dbus support will have to be semantic bridging too. Either in
> the VOS site extension or in a seperate native_dbus-vos_dbus daemon;
> doing it in the site extension probably makes the most sense I think.
> So adding and removing services looks like adding/removing vobjects;
> changing the prenesce status of your avatar sends a dbus event to
> synchronize with other IM systems, etc.
>
> Reed

[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]