Well, I had a look at Croquet before, and even though it seems to be
called OpenCroquet now, I am still not impressed. Admittedly, they
have some nice eye candy, and working portals. These can even display
non-VR applications like web browsers and chess games, neat. Didn't
we have that in S3 too?

However, their networking model requires a sequencer or other time
synchronization mechanism, even for bulk traffic like object
movement. This inevitably becomes a bottleneck, so the system cannot
handle large scale simulations (like Stephenson's "Metaverse
Street"). Even SIMNET could do better than that.

Regards,
Karsten Otto (kao)