The question is, what is the significance of this library (libhdf5)? - from
what you say I gather, it is not required in general, but it is only
necessary if I myself indent to use hdf5 files/data (which obviously I am
not currently; unless it is used by VOTCA tools or scripts somewhere under
the hood - ?).

Anyway, what is the cmake option to switch it off (I could not find it)?

Thanks
Andrey