Hello,
Many months ago, I downloaded Voyager pre3 only to find that it was virtually
non-functional.
There was very little incentive to buy this product, especially with regard to
the number of bugs
reported and its inability to perform.
I have not downloaded V3 as it seems that this is still the case. Further, I
am really fed up with 
the constant 'spam' of mail from this server. It seems that most contributers
write because they
have nothing else to do, rather being constructive. 

Perhaps it was too much to ask to have a fully functional web browser for the
Amiga.
Historically, most Amiga software was reasonably easy to use and
user-friendly. Why then, is Voyager
such a pig? Why do you need a BSc in computer technology to use this software?
Having recently been lent a PC with a browser that works, I find life
extremely easy. Having said that,
It frequently locks-up and/or crashes, which as far as I can see, is quite
normal for a PC running Windoze.
This cant be a function of the hardware. The computer is only as good as the
software written for it. And in
the case of the PC, the MS software O/S is abysmal, inefficient, unreliable
but unfortunately, standard and often
praised by people in industry. These sad people who have been duped into
thinking that MS are the epitome
of software and O/S writing, are again the victims of history; any graphical
interface would have seemed amazing
in the early 90's. How this situation arose is a fluky querk, much to do with
the short-sightedness of IBM. 
Strangely, the Amiga had such an operating system for ten years prior to
Windoze 95.

I find that I am becoming increasingly reluctant to switch on the Amiga. The
flame of enthusiasm is dwindling. The most upsetting thing was the
abandonment of the MCC, which was, I think, the last nail in the coffin for
Amiga.
A machine that would have shown how poor the PC really is, would have taken
the computer market by the nuts
and possibly caused a revolution. These people are not ALL stupid, only most
of them. You only have to look at the demise of Wintel with the AMD to see
the vulnerability of the computer industry. 
The Amigas' finest attribute was the embedded ROMs, which made it fast,
reliable, and memory efficient. 
Now however, it is showing its age. It is rather like being keen on classic
cars and only driving it when the sun shines.

I am sorry to say that the Amiga, as it is now, is dead. Only a manufacturer
with some guts and who is not influenced by the financial espionage and power
of the likes of MS etc. will save the Amiga. 
As this is not going to happen realistically, then the only way out is to use
the stuff that works. I am really not interested in fiddling about with
software in order to make it emulate PC software. I only want to switch on
and use the thing. I used to be keen on assembler and writing programs for
the Amiga, but there seems little point now. The intricacies of the ROM
manuals and usage of the system firmware, made writing programs unbelievably
interesting. I have no enthusiasm at all for writing for the PC.

So there you have it. I never thought I'd see the day that I didn't turn on
the Amiga and be proud to do it.
Access to the net has changed all that and as far as I can see Voyager is
still miles behind PC browsers.

Good luck!  
Kind regards
David.

____________________________________________________________
Voyager Mailing List - Info & Archive: http://www.vapor.com/
For Listserver Help: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "HELP"
To Unsubscribe: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "UNSUBSCRIBE"

Reply via email to