+Irene Liew from Intel

On 11/15/2016 02:06 PM, Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) wrote:

On 11 Nov 2016, at 13:58, Thomas F Herbert <therb...@redhat.com <mailto:therb...@redhat.com>> wrote:

On 11/09/2016 07:39 AM, Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) wrote:
Some inputs from my side with MK.

On 8 Nov 2016, at 21:25, Thomas F Herbert <therb...@redhat.com> wrote:

All:

Soliciting opinions from people as to vhost-user testing scenarios and guest modes in fd.io <http://fd.io/> CSIT testing of VPP - vhost-user.

I will forward to this mailing list as well as summarize any additional feedback.

I asked some people that happen to be here at OVSCON as well as some Red Hat and Intel people. I am also including some people that are involved in upstream vhost-user work in DPDK.

So far, I have the following feedback with an attempt to condense feedback and to keep the list small. If I left out anything, let me know.

In addition to the PVP tests done now with small packets.

Testpmd in guest is OK for now.

MK: vhost should be tested also with IRQ drivers, not only PMD, e.g. Linux guest with kernel IP routing. It’s done today in CSIT functional tests in VIRL (no testpmd there).
Yes, as long as testPMD in guest is in the suite to maximize perf test.

Agree. testpmd is already used in csit perf tests with vhost.

1 Add multiple VMs (How many?)

MK: For performance test, we should aim for a box-full, so for 1vCPU VMs fill up all cores :)

2 Both multi-queue and single-queue

MK: vhost single-queue for sure. vhost multi-queue seems to matter only to huge VMs that generate lots of traffic and coming close to overloading worker thread dealing with it.

3 Tests that cause the equivalent of multiple flows in OVS. Varying variety of traffic including layer 2 and layer 3 traffic.

MK: Yes. Many flows is must.

4 Multiple IF's (Guest or Host or Both?)

MK: What do you mean by multiple IF’s (interfaces)? With multiple VMs we surely have multiple vhost interfaces, minimum 2 vhost interfaces per VM. What matters IMV is the ratio and speed between: i) physical interfaces 10GE, 40GE; and ii) vhost interfaces with slow or fast VMs. I suggest we work few scenarios covering both i) and ii), and number of VMs, based on use cases folks have.
I am copying this to Franck. I am not sure whether he was asking for multiple PHY PMDs or more then 2 IFs per guest. I think that multiple guests with 2 IFs each should be a pretty good test to start with.

OK. Any more feedback here from anybody?

The following might not be doable by 17.01 and if not consider the following as a wish list for future:

1 vxLan tunneled traffic

MK: Do you mean VXLAN on the wire, VPP (running in host) does VXLAN tunnel termination (VTEP) into L2BD, and then L2 switching into VMs via vhost? If so, that’s the most common requirement I hear from folks e.g. OPNFV/FDS.
I am not sure whether Franck was suggesting VTEP or whether he wanted encap and decap of L3 vxlan or whether he was asking for forwarding rules in guest and not just layer 2 MAC forwarding.

OK. Any more feedback here from anybody?

2 VPP in guest with layer 2 and layer 3 vRouted traffic.

MK: What do you mean here? VPP in guest with dpdk-virtio (instead of testpmd), and VPP in host with vhost ?
Yes, VPP in host. I think some folks are looking for a test that approximates a routing VNF but I am forwarding this for Franck's comment.

OK. Any more feedback here from anybody?

3 Additional Overlay/Underlay: MPLS

MK: MPLSoEthernet?, MPLSoGRE? VPNv4, VPNv6? Else?
MK: L2oLISP, IPv4oLISP, IPv6oLISP.
MPLSoEthernet

But what VPP configuration - just MPLS label switching (LSR), or VPN edge (LER aka PE) ?
I don't have the answer. Maybe Franck or Anita may want to comment.

In general, the context for my comment is wrt to perf testing of VPP vs DPDK/OVS and other vSwitches/data planes. Current testing is optimized for multiple layer 2 flows. If we are passing and forwarding tunneled or encapped traffic in the VM, even if we don't terminate a VTEP, we are closer to real world VNF use cases, and may provide a better basis perf comparisons for Telcos and similar users.

This comment is not specific to immediate goal of testing vhost-user but some people are encouraging the use of VSPERF.

Not sure I follow this comment - what’s the context of VSPERF reference here?
Not relevant in the short run. It is just that some people would like the VSPERF tests from OPNFV to run under CSIT.

-Maciek

-Maciek
--TFH
--