It helps me to have some of the story, at least the
beginning, and the main character(s) in mind.  Once
I get to know them, they start to live in my head
and tell me the story.  When I was an actor, we
were encouraged to write down the history of the
character prior to the beginning of the play (The Method).
The motivations are more obvious and then the
actions are bounded believably.   When reading
Heinlein, it was usually obvious that he had only a
half-dozen characters and he cast them in almost
every book.

Len

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h