Hi Len,

I completely agree.  Moreover I would go one step further -- the games
that have proved to have longlasting appeal actually did involve the
user emotionally.  (Who, really, can forget the dread of walking
around the mazes in Zork thinking the @#$%^ thief might be around the
corner?)  There have been some recent examples of this -- Myst
certainly provided serenity, Resident Evil 2 provides the suspense
factor... even Quake has its "ewww" gross-out factor.

Lately I've been addicted to a little game called Worms 2.  This is a
strategy, turn-based game involving cute little worms blowing things
up at each other.  However what makes the game so compelling for me is
not necessarily the gameplay (although it's a great game design), but
the little tweaks of personality attributed to a worm.  For instance
if it's my turn and I point my gun at a worm far away, you can see the
other worm's eyes get big and you can see him swallow.  This really
provides a sense of enthusiasm for these little worms.  Character goes
a long way, even in a blow-em-up.
  -John