        [Bullard, Claude L (Len)]

        Yes... but... you also have some things a movie or book doesn't
have:  persistent
        memory and object loading because movies and books are essentially
        bound media.  Dynamic media corresponds closer to live theatre in
the
        ability to add and remove props, respond to audience applause, etc.

        What vr-lit adds is the *cheap* ability to do this while defying
physics.

> We're nowhere near having a vocabulary for such devices, let alone an
> exhaustive list of them.

        [Bullard, Claude L (Len)]

        Which is one of the reasons we are here.  We are spawning vocabulary
as
        we learn to talk about our ideas.  Remember when you did the glyphs
for
        navigating TerraVista?  While that idea didn't go far at the time,
the use
        of a set of unified signposts based on glyphs works fine.  I noted
in the
        IF pages I've read that the genre has spawned symbols for say,
magic.
        So it is my hope we will do some of this too.

> Is it possible that traditional cinematic devices
> will turn out to have nonlinear equivalents?  Might there be such a thing
> as an interactive closeup as distinct from an interactive establishing
> shot?

        [Bullard, Claude L (Len)]  I think it is the case.  What gets lost
in
        the discussions of non-linearity is that it is a quality of
presentation,
        not an absolute of organization.  The distinguishing characteristic
        of non-linear systems of any kind is emergence.  Events, properties,

        etc. can emerge spontaneously or at least, be non-authored.  On
        the other hand, non-linear organization is not absolute in that some

        parts of the sequences are linear (eg, must go through set up).
        So within predictable linear sequences in an overall non-linear or
        at least complex set of traversals, we still need and can
effectively
        use the traditional cinematic devices.

> >If the user is more interactive, then the problems
> >of viewpoint are much more severe because without the
> >context of establishing them in the scene, the user won't
> >acquire intuition about actions to perform.  So, I guess
> >if we had to do it over again and not break the plot, I would
> >have to invent a character such as Ishmael who is at
> >every important event logically.  However, once done,
> >then certain time-saving plot advancing tricks are harder
> >to do.  Eg, the scenes where a character is reflecting
> >mentally on a subject (Jeanie worries about the Captain)
> >aren't logical (how would Ishmael know what Ahab is
> >thinking unless he is guessing or being told).
>
> This is a good argument for devising a way of mixing different approaches.

        [Bullard, Claude L (Len)]

        Yes.  Half the art is being inventive and knowing how to do this
        without the boilerplate sticking out all over.  I failed miserably
at
        that in IS.  The saving graces are the accents of the speakers which

        distract the user (misdirected attention is the lesser power of
magic),
        and the excellent graphics of the team which Paul pulled up to
        professional quality.  Sometimes pulling a rabbit out of the hat
        depends on a blindfolded audience.

> You could for example invent some sort of convincing literary device to
> segue smoothly between interactive and cinematic POV's (then the rest of
> us
> could promptly borrow it from you :)

        [Bullard, Claude L (Len)]  Again, I think the devices are there and
we
        aren't noticing.  I brought up the store commercials the other day
        in which a moving camera sees several groups engaged in conversation

        while in motion.  The camera switches from one group to the next as
        they pass each other in the store.  This is an excellent device for
        setups and has equivalents in theatre setups where a dance number
        features several singers who move on and off the stage during a
        dance/song number.  It makes an interesting PROTO:  camera tracks
motion
        of moving group by center, and must switch the group center
        based on some parameter (eg, first conversation ends) and turn
        onto that new center without apparent motion.  That's a challenging
        PROTO to write.

        If you are referring to POV as Character (iow, first, second, third
person),
        then I think they are the same for VR as for any other story.  Or is
that
        true?  Passive vs Active?  Subject vs object?  Hmm.  Food for
thought.

        len