> In our mini-ITX's we started to use Seagates as the Maxtors were
> dropping down like flys. Although now I know they are one and the
> same, we still opt for Seagates.
>
> Although Maxtor always replaced them with no problems, its the hassle
> :)

for harddisks, low temperature is the secret of
long life (and stable env. conditions, of course)

hddtemp is a nice tool to figure the disk temp
for most newer drives, and as a rule of the thumb,
everything below 40°C is considered fine and all
above 50°C is considered deadly ...

Yeah, although there was a google report out recently that said cooler drives failed quicker (go figure!)

Most of our drives are anything from 35-45, but have a few at the 50 mark. But have been there for 2 years and not failed. Although we tend to do disk swaps every 12 months anyway. It saves a lot of heart ache

Darren