On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 22:55, Diana & Graham Stevens wrote:
> I suspect it is the TCP/IP setting which is configured to connect
> via ethernet using DHCP Server. This brings up a box to insert a DHCP
> Client ID but the iinet guys do not know what should go in this box.
> They said to leave it blank, we also tried with my user name but that
> did not work either. When I was connected all the other addresses
> were supplied by the server and appeared to be correct.

Although I now have several independent reports that the majority of
iiNet support staff are clueless, I can only *suggest* that if they
don't know what the DHCP Client ID is for, it is unlikely that they are
using this.

> iinet talked about my ethernet port not being correctly configured
> but as I just unplugged the lead which normally goes to the hub and
> connected the lead from the modem I don't think this is the problem.
> But I did use their new ethernet lead and not my old one which I know
> works.

*Generally*, if the light comes on when you plug it in it's working, but
to make sure, use your old cable. I have seen situations where the light
comes on, but it still doesn't work - read on.

> My heart sank when I saw it was a D-Link modem after what Shay said
> about their equipment the other day.

I can back-up his statement about "DLink gear is to be steered away
from", since it has cost me serious money last month, when a client
decided that the time it took to find out that the firmware in one of
their new DLink wireless base-stations was not compatible with their
newly supplied DLink wireless PCMCIA cards, was not billable to them :-(

Having said that, I know several reputable suppliers who use DLink gear
all the time and have little issue with it. I've spoken to the Manager
of Technical Support in Australia for DLink and he seems happy to
resolve issues - though I must confess that I did never hear of a
solution for another issue with that same base-station

> The error messages I got when trying to connect via ADSL were, from Eudora:
>
> Error involving Domain Name System
> -3162
> The server is not responding
> {37:1170}
>
> And from Netscape:
>
> Netscape is unable to locate the server
> www.iinet.net.au
> Please check the server name and try again.
> Using previously cached copy instead.

OK, here's what's supposed to happen when you do something on the
Internet: (Very simplified for this occasion)

1 - You connect your computer physically to the network.
2 - Your computer puts out a DHCP request.
3 - A response comes back from the network with an IP number and
optionally the DBS details.
4 - Your computer asks the DNS what the number for a name, like
"www,iinet.net.au" is.
5 - The DNS tells your computer it's: 203.59.24.221
6 - Your computer then opens a connection to the computer at that
address and your web-page appears.

Where it can go wrong:
1 - The physical connection is broken - either between your computer and
the modem, the modem and the wall, the wall and the street, the street
and the exchange, the exchange and the provider, inside the provider.

2 - Your computer is not configured to send out DHCP

3 - The request doesn't come back.

4 - The DNS is broken

5 - The DNS is broken

6 - The proxy server is broken.

You can eliminate some of these:
1 - Check the wires, use known good cables, test the new cable with
known good equipment.

2 - Check that it's set to DHCP, or supply the correct details yourself.
For a fully working IP connection, you need: an IP number, a gateway
address, a subnet mask and a DNS entry. DHCP is a simple way of getting
them all from a central location.

3 - Unlikely to be broken.

4,5 - The DNS number may be wrong, or the DNS may be down. But you don't
need a DNS to send IP information out. Get a hold of a piece of software
called:

IPNetMonitor
<http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=2215&db=mac>

And try and ping something. I generally use 134.7.134.134, since I
remember it from my days at Curtin, supporting networks all day. This is
the DNS server at Curtin. Its up most of the time, since they know what
they're doing ;-)

If that works then you know that IP traffic is actually working, the
only broken bit is that a name cannot get translated into a number, ie.
the iiNet DNS is down, or their ADSL network uses a different DNS than
their dial-up network.

6 - Turn off the proxy, if it works, the proxy may not. It is also
connected to the net and also needs to have a fully working IP
connection.

> Once before when I got these messages repeatedly on dial-up I
> connected to AT&T and was able to access the iinet servers using
> Eudora and Netscape. iinet could not explain this phenomenon. Two
> days later it resolved.

When the iiNet domain servers go down, which I'm told happens regularly,
this will happen.

> Diana
>
> >Diana & Graham Stevens wrote:
> >>The problem is that although the ADSL connection appears to be
> >>successful to the people at iinet and the IP address etc are assigned
> >>it does not work. Neither Netscape nor Eudora can find the server or
> >>any other address tried.
> >>
> >>When iinet tried to 'ping' the address it did not work, ie it is a
> >>dead connection. I have looked at the connection log and the ADSL
> >>connection is recorded as well as this mornings dial up.

If Telstra tries to ping me they also don't get a response, when they
wonder why I explain that there is a firewall there. Some clueless
operators have suggested that I turn it off while they test. Suffice to
say that I don't.

Getting a Tech to show you on their equipment that it works on your
modem and wall socket with your user name and password (if it uses
PPPoE, not direct Ethernet) is the start of this whole process. I once
made a technician's day when I explained that this was all I needed to
see. He left three hours later when it turned out that my user name
hadn't been initialized yet - glad I wasn't trying to resolve that :-)

Also, some ISP's register the physical Ethernet address of the modem.
It's called the MAC address. For a static Ethernet connection this is
likely. For PPPoE connections it's not likely, but still possible.

> >>Can anyone suggest what is wrong please.

Wouldn't that be nice. Look at my Internet connection and see what is
wrong with yours :-)

> >That's very difficult without any information on your setup - which
> >modem? How are you connected (ethernet, wireless, is there a LAN
> >involved?) What machine? What OS? What settings are you using?
> >Has someone Mac-clueful in iinet's ADSL support department been over
> >your settings with you? Have you tried a known-working ethernet cable
> >(if it's an ethernet modem)?

One other question, which I've kept 'till last is:

Are you using PPPoE or static Ethernet. If the former, you'll need to
run an application on your connection machine to actually connect. If
the latter, plugging it in may do the trick.

It is possible, but without looking into the DSL 300 further I cannot
tell, that it is in fact running the PPPoE software.

So after my non helpful response, does this one help?

PS, something not related to consider: (As shown to me by a good friend)

Q:Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
A:Why is top posting frowned upon?

--
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]