Sorry for the top posting but I like to see the reply to the question I have
already asked - I don't want to read it again or scroll through it to the
reply.

Having got that off my chest ...

Dianna

I can only suggest that you take a systematic approach to solving this
problem. Get some software that will allow you to ping - IPNetmonitor as
suggested by Onno or my preference MacTCP Watcher. The latter is free, I'm
not sure about the former.

Assuming you are using a direct Ethernet connection, follow these steps and
post the results here, then we can help further;

1. Open the TCPIP control panel and record the IP address (and mask), DNS
or Name server address and router/gateway address. Then close the control
panel. If you do not have any of these then your connection won't work. If
any of them are wrong then the connection won't work or will be erratic at
best.

2. Open the application that lets you ping and ping the router/gateway
address. This should be (must be) the ADSL modem. If you have success here
then the first leg of the journey is working. If not, you have a local
connectivity problem that may be physical (cable not working, modem port
broken or Mac Ethernet port broken) or configuration (TCPIP settings wrong).

3. If 2 works then try pinging the DNS or name server address. If this
works then you should, in theory, be able to use name resolution as
described by Onno in one of his replies ie. You can use names like
www.iinet.net.au instead of the IP address.

4. Then try pinging further afield like the address Onno supplied or ping
our DNS server here at Perth iX (203.188.144.1) or www.cisco.com
(198.133.219.25).

Regards

Greg