For some reason I can't empty Trash and it is getting rather full - about 3
gig on a 6 gig internal drive in fact, leaving me with about 380mb space.

I have a G3 400mHZ PowerBook (Firewire), 640 meg RAM, OS 10.1.5 on the
internal drive and OS 10.2 on the external hard drive.

I get two, sometimes three, messages when I try to empty Trash.

The most frequent (and always first) is "The operation cannot be completed
because you do not have sufficient privileges for "Updater"."

The second message is "The operation can not be completed because the item
" HFS+Private Data" is locked"

There is a space between the " mark and the word HFS+.

The third and much less frequent message is something ".Trashes is in use"

I have tried:
1. Pressing option+shift+delete when holding open the trash icon
2. Dragging everything out of trash and putting it back in one by one,
attempting to empty trash at each step. One of the folders is named "sudo rm
-rf~/.Trash/." 
Information for that folder shows that I am the owner and it belongs to
staff group. I have changed the privileges to read and write, but that
hasn't worked. The hide extension box is ticked. I haven't been able to
untick it.
3. Giving Super Empty Trash a go.
4. Starting up from the OS 10.2 CD and trying to run the Permissions from
Utility (which I get to from the menu bar as soon as the OS 10.2 CD icon
opens). Can't get to permissions though, because it is greyed out. Have run
Disk First Aid from the same dialogue box though, and it tells me that the
G3 Hard Drive appears okay.

Any suggestions?

Michael Hawkins.