On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 09:43 AM, Shay Telfer wrote:

>> I regularly repair permissions: weekly at least, sometimes more if I 
>> am
>> about to and have installed updated software.
>>
>> Each time I get the following message:
>> "New permissions are 33261.
>> Group differs fro on ./private/var/run/utump
>> Should be 0, group is 1
>> Owner and group corrected.
>> Permissions corrected."
>>
>> Is there something that I should do so that this repair isn't needed 
>> each
>> and every time?
>
> It's a temporary file created by one of the daemons, so chances are
> that something else is creating it or changing its permissions back
> every week. You'd need to either fix the receipt for the file that's
> causing Disk Utility to change the privilege, or recompile whatever
> creates utmp (used to store login records). Neither of which are
> particularly good options.
>
>
You could also try the shareware utility "Macaroni". This runs routine 
UNIX housekeeping chores at scheduled times, which in itself is good 
for keeping your system happy, and it also regularly runs Disk 
Utility's Repair Permissions routines. You also get a full log of what 
it has done. Might help if you can't fix the problem any other way.

-- 
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Western Australia Phone (618) 9332 6482 Fax (618) 9332 0913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]