1. Pressing option+shift+delete when holding open the trash icon 2. Dragging everything out of trash and putting it back in one by one, attempting to empty trash at each step. One of the folders is named "sudo rm -rf~/.Trash/." Information for that folder shows that I am the owner and it belongs to staff group. I have changed the privileges to read and write, but that hasn't worked. The hide extension box is ticked. I haven't been able to untick it.
Be exceedingly careful with that folder, incorrect use of the command line while removing it could cause serious problems if Unix tries to parse the filename as a command.
4. Starting up from the OS 10.2 CD and trying to run the Permissions from Utility (which I get to from the menu bar as soon as the OS 10.2 CD icon opens). Can't get to permissions though, because it is greyed out. Have run Disk First Aid from the same dialogue box though, and it tells me that the G3 Hard Drive appears okay.
You can run Apple's Repair Privileges utility instead <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106900> Otherwise you'll probably need to either * reboot into OS 9 and delete the offending files from there, or * get someone who knows their way around Unix to delete them for you. Thanks, Shay -- =========================== Shay Telfer ================================ Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies! Opinions for hire [POQ] [EMAIL PROTECTED] fnord

