It seems like you have been generating some or all of your numbers from other functions. I have had this problem in the past that some cells don't know they're numbers, even tho' they are.

You can apply the TEXT() and/or VALUE() functons to the column in question to convert them. You can also use the TYPE() function to query what type of data each cell has.


Cheers
Rob

THANKS TO THOSE WHO REPLIED... ONNO & Andy.

Oh what a tale we weave ........ ?

Some of my numbers were numbers with number Values
And then some looked like numbers but were TEXT without a number value.

So of course they sort differently.

To tell the difference.. Try an "autosum"
The ones with values will sum to whatever figure
The ones with Text value will sume to 0, that's zero.

There is probably a way in excel to convert from text to value,
But All I have found so far is converting value to text.

One way to handle the situation is to save the file as "text",
That's plain text & not a Word doc.

Then reimport into excel using the :-

Data _ Get external Data - Import text file.......

function to finally save the imported information as Excel data.


Have fun

Bob



On 8/9/03 2:26 PM, "Bob Howells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Hi Everyone

 In my wisdom I thought if I formatted cells in an Excel worksheet
 And the format was for example

 Number = number

 Then when I do a sort on that column which is all " formatted"
 the same way, the numbers should be in sequence .

 Not so !

 I have two series of numbers, one set in sequence, the other at the end
 Of the queue ! ?

 But what and why does that occur ....please ?

 Bob


 -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
 Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
 Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
 Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 WAMUG is powered by Stalker CommuniGatePro



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

WAMUG is powered by Stalker CommuniGatePro


--
-------------------------------
Dr Rob Phillips, Senior Lecturer,    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Room 4.38 Teaching and Learning Centre, Library North Wing
Murdoch University, South St, Murdoch, 6150, Perth, AUS
Phone: +61 8 9360 6054  Mobile: 0416 065 054
Chair, 2004 ASCILITE Conference
-------------------------------